Friday, August 30, 2013

Cell Phone Withdrawal

The other day I left my phone at church. I had to spend almost 24 hours without it. That is the longest I have ever been without it since I got it over seven years ago. It was odd and uncomfortable. I felt like something was missing and I felt a bit lost. In addition to using my phone for the basic calls and texts, I rely heavily on it for the calendar, daily schedule, lists, and journal. I got an iphone in March and since then my "relationship" with my phone has really taken off. I often feel like my life is on my phone and if I were to lose it or the information it contains I would be panicked.

So it got me thinking............... Do I have a "cell phone relationship" with God? Do I feel lost without Him? Is my whole life wrapped up in Him? Do I panic when I think of losing Him? During the day when I have the choice between cell phone and God, who do I choose?

I have to admit, sometimes I experience some boredom in my relationship with God. Currently I am in a place like that. Several months ago I discovered some new dimensions in my relationship with God; it was fun and exciting to explore them. Now the novelty has worn off and I'm looking for my adrenaline fix again. So where do I look for it? Do I pour into God or do I look elsewhere? 

I'd like to say that I'm always satisfied with God and that I always look to Him to meet all my needs. I'd like to say that I am always in wonderful contact with Him and that our relationship is always growing and thriving. But, I'm here to be real! 

So back to the cell phone......... During my day without my phone God showed me that I often look to it for the instant gratification and excitement that I crave. After my initial discomfort of feeling "naked" without my phone, God provided me with sweet fellowship and peace that was better than and much more long lasting than an adrenaline rush that I might get from texting, Facebook, or Instagram.

Several months ago I was in a very lonely place. I was praying, asking God to send a new person into my life that I could have a very close relationship with. He clearly told me that He wanted to be my best friend and that I would get all that I longed for in a relationship with Him. But the human side of me says, "But God, how do I do that? You are not here next to me in the physical sense to do things with and give me a hug when I need it. How do I make You my best friend?" Thankfully, He is teaching me. Philippians 1:6 says, And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. I read something recently that said, "first we get the willingness, then the ability". I believe God has placed in me a willingness to make Him my best friend and now He is working with me and showing me how to do that in my everyday life. I am so grateful for the promises of scripture! According to Philippians, God starts "good works" in me and keeps teaching and working with me on them until Jesus comes back. So, He is never going to ask me to do something without being there to guide me through it to completion. Thank goodness for that because I need a lot of help! :)

I feel like my day without the phone gave me a taste of the richness of having a really close relationship with God is like without distractions. He showed me what a distraction my phone can be to me and how it can come between God and I. He showed me how I often look to other people to meet needs that only He can meet. He showed me that I often crave other things and people more than I crave Him. He wants to be first place in my life. Certainly not because God is pushy, but because He loves me tremendously and wants amazing blessings in my life. He wants me to be full of peace, contentment, joy, and wisdom and the only way that will happen is if He is my best friend. So, I have pushed my phone aside a little and making more room to be closer to God. I once heard God referred to as a gentleman. I absolutely see that in my life. He uses such gentle ways to show me clear truths and guides me with tenderness and love.

Please comment and share how God has used everyday occurrences to guide you in your relationship with Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment