Friday, February 14, 2014

Fear

I was a born worrier, it's something that has been passed down in my family for a long time. When I was four years old I was anxious because I couldn't teach myself to add money out of my grandma's kindergarten workbooks that she brought home from work. My perfectionism and worry have been central themes in my life. I find that all this stems from fear: What will people think of me? Am I enough? Fear of rejection and abandonment. Fear, it's such an ugly word. I heard an acronym for it, False Evidence Appearing Real.

It's amazing how fear can get so big and swallow me until I hardly have any perspective left. Fear has shaped many decisions in my life. I wonder what life is like without fear. Joyce Meyer and Jillian Michaels say to "feel the fear and do it anyways". I have something on my wall that says if I look for fear, I will find fear and if I look for love that is what I will find. It's extremely challenging when fear is screaming in my ear to step out and do what I'm so afraid of. The good news is that the actual thing I am afraid of usually isn't as scary as I imagined. My anticipatory anxiety is usually much worse because there is so much unknown.

 

The Bible encourages us "to fear not" and "do not be afraid" numerous times. So why does the Bible make it a point to strengthen us against fear so often throughout it's text? Because fear, worry, and anxiety steal from us. They can paralyze us and control the direction of our lives. We can miss out on so much because we don't step out of our comfort zone. Recently a friend said that life starts when you get out of your comfort zone. That is a tough one. I like it in my safe, warm bubble. It's hard to step out and take a risk. But when we set our sites on God and step out for Him, it ALWAYS works out for our good (Romans 8:28). Then we are truly living! How many things have I missed out on because I was too fearful? 

Dear Lord, please help all women to be courageous and bold for You so they can reach their ultimate potential and glorify You. In Jesus' name, Amen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment