Saturday, April 13, 2013

Doing Something Different

If you do what you always did, you are going to get what you always got!

So what does that mean? I have to do something different.

If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Simple concepts, yes. Incredibly hard to do. But completely possible and totally worth it!

Sometimes it's scary, other times it's inconvenient, it may be just plain uncomfortable and unnatural.

So what do I do? I make a choice; do what I always did or do something different. If it isn't broken, don't fix it and keep going in the same direction. If I want a new outcome, I have to choose a new action. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Am I going to be insane or not? The choice is mine!

Prior to 2 years ago, if you asked me if I was insane, I would have answered you with a strong "absolutely not". I thought I was the saneist person I knew. Haha, the joke was on me! I love that God has a sense of humor. Thank goodness for the clarity of hindsight. Looking back, I can vividly see much of my craziness and boy was I out of control. I still am sometimes, but I can often recognize it now and have amazing people in my life who lovingly and truthfully help me do reality checks. What a gift those are, even if I don't like to admit it right away.

So what has changed for me over the past 2 years? Practically everything!!! Maybe not externally, but internally God has rocked my world! My way of life and outlook have done a 180. This has been tough for a girl who has a tendency to fight change regardless of how beneficial it is. I am learning that I can cross my arms a different way, take risks, be spontaneous, break my "rules", open up myself to new people and experiences, and approach the world through new eyes. Scary, yes. Worth it, absolutely! Nothing changes until the discomfort of the past and present overpower the fear of the future. But when it does, oh how sweet life gets!

No comments:

Post a Comment