Friday, February 22, 2013

Why Forgiveness?


This is part two of the forgiveness series I started on Sunday. If you missed the first posted titled, What is Forgiveness?, click here to catch up. I used to think there were very few reasons to forgive, I was ignorant to the extreme destruction unforgiveness causes and the amazing freedom and healing that results from choosing to forgive. Today I am going to focus on reasons encouraging us to forgive even when it goes against everything that screams inside of us and regardless of what others say.


1.   The Ultimate Sacrifice - God sent His son, Jesus, to earth to save us from many things: sin, death, ourselves. God knew we needed a savior and He loves us so much that He sent His one and only son to be our sacrificial lamb, so we could be saved from our sins and receive forgiveness. Without Jesus' death on the cross, there wouldn't have been any price paid for our sins and we would be weighed down with them for eternity. Thankfully Jesus chose to pay our ransom and overcame our shortcomings with his blood. When we accept Jesus as our Savior, we have the amazing privilege of receiving the free gift of forgiveness. God forgave me of all my sins (which is a tremendous list!), how can I not forgive others?


2.   My Forgiveness is Conditional - If I don't forgive then I won't be forgiven.

  •  "............ and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us" - The Lord's Prayer
  • "But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins." - Matthew 6:15 NLT
  • "Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven." - Luke 6:37 NLT

3.   It is Fruit of Following Jesus - I can't just say that I follow Jesus, I must LIVE it! We have all heard the old expression, "Actions speak louder than words". If I am truly a follower of Jesus, my life will reflect his message and it will result in good "fruit". We minister the loudest to those around us through our behavior. "Minister always and when necessary, use words." 
  • "Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others." - Colossians 3:13 NLT 
  • "Then Peter came to him and asked, "Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times? No, not seven times," Jesus replied, "but seventy times seven!" - Matthew 18:21-22
  • Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, you must forgive.” - Luke 17:4 NLT
  • Jesus said (while hanging on the cross, his last words)", “Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing.” - Luke 23:24 *My emphasis added* 

4.   Forgiveness Releases Me - Unforgiveness is such a stronghold in the lives of those who carry it around. Surprisingly, it requires much more energy to forgive than to nurse a grudge and bitterness. Unforgiveness can result in SO many ailments; physical, emotional, social, spiritual, you name it! It slowly eats away at the insides of its holders. It speaks lies and garbage into lives and destroys relationships. It is a poison that infects the insides and becomes spewed out through words, actions, attitudes, and holds us back from our true potential and experiencing real peace and joy. Forgiveness changes lives!
  • "You can't hold a man down without staying down with him." - Booker T. Washington
  • "Forgiveness is not forgetting, it's letting go of the hurt." - Mary McLeod Bethune
  • "Every time I try to tighten the noose of resentment around someone's neck, I am really only chocking myself. Today I will practice forgiveness instead." - Courage to Change p. 278
  • "A part of me wants to cling to old resentments, but I know that the more I forgive, the better my life works." - In All Our Affairs 
  • "The prisoner that it really frees is you." - Matthew West



No comments:

Post a Comment